The Windsor Police Department Records Unit gathers information from officers throughout the department before it is processed, reviewed and stored. The Division is committed to providing public access to records in a manner that is consistent with the Colorado Open Records Act (CORA) and Colorado Criminal Justice Records Act (CCJRA).

The Records Unit handles approximately 22,000 cases each year. In addition to those cases, all citations which are issued by Windsor Police Department officers are circulated through Records before being forwarded to municipal or county court.

Request a Traffic Accident Report

Traffic accident reports can be accessed through our online reporting system. You must have the case number provided to you by the officer.

Request a Record

Requests for records must be made through JustFOIA. Please see the Town of Windsor Fee Schedule (PDF) for associated costs.


Records are generally not available within 14 days of the date of an incident. Please allow three business days for a response to your request. Many reports, however, are not immediately available such as:

  • If a report is still under investigation, it cannot be released unless authorized by the investigating officer
  • If there are circumstances where the report would need to be redacted according to the Colorado Open Records Act/Colorado Criminal Justice Records Act
  • If the report is in storage
  • If the report has been destroyed in accordance with the Colorado Archives Destruction Schedule

If your request is denied, you will receive written documentation of the denial.

Additional Services

If you are unable to use any of the online services, you may come to the Records Unit during normal business hours to purchase background checks/clearance letters (local contacts only), purchase copies of police reports and traffic accident reports, get a vehicle identification number (VIN) check.